---
title: "Ethernet destination filtering for MACRAW socket?"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11920"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11920/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "njh"
created: "2016-09-04T12:23:28+09:00"
last_activity: "2017-05-04T08:39:03+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 767
replies: 1
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# Ethernet destination filtering for MACRAW socket?

## Question

Asked by njh on 2016-09-04 in Ethernet Chips.

Hello,

I have been working on adding support for W5100 to my IPv6 library for Arduino:
[github.com/njh/ethersia](https://github.com/njh/ethersia)

I have put together some code to send and receive raw Ethernet frames:
[gist.github.com/njh/75f0952cdd3 … 7c8275c584](https://gist.github.com/njh/75f0952cdd3b5cd1a534e97c8275c584)

Which seems to be working reasonable well.

I have both the Arduino Ethernet shield and my laptop connected to an Ethernet hub, so that I can use Wireshark to inspect packets.

I have seen that the W5100 is receiving unicast Ethernet frames intended for my laptop, even with a source MAC address set.
Is this expected? Does the W5100 have any Ethernet frame filtering support?

Thanks,

nick.

## Replies

### Reply 1 by njh, 2016-09-11

No reply to this, so I implemented MAC address filtering in software:
[gist.github.com/njh/75f0952cdd3 … 0-cpp-L291](https://gist.github.com/njh/75f0952cdd3b5cd1a534e97c8275c584#file-w5100-cpp-L291)

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11920
