---
title: "WIZ550io"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11828"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11828/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "FranzPeter"
created: "2016-05-02T13:36:03+09:00"
last_activity: "2017-05-04T08:38:45+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 1409
replies: 4
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# WIZ550io

## Question

Asked by FranzPeter on 2016-05-02 in Ethernet Chips.

I still try to connect to a WIZ550io. Ping is running well. However it is not possible to connect to the module (see the attachment with a WireShark-recording.
How is it in generell?
So what I know it is so, that I press Reset (Pin 3) for at least 500µs to low, the module will load default parameter (IP-Address 192.168.1.2). Then I can use ping and also can connect to the module (e.g. with a VB.NET-Socket-connection).
Is that right?

If this works, I will go to the next step to excange data. Then, I need the help of a microconroller of course.
Is that right?

Best regards
Franz Peter

[![](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/1X/0dadf667179f16ade9538667298c17e5c3210d1e.gif) 1259×121 10.3 KB](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/1X/0dadf667179f16ade9538667298c17e5c3210d1e.gif)

## Replies

### Reply 1 by Coccoliso, 2016-05-03

Hi,
if your preferred language is modular basic see here for PIC18 [url][http://www.sfcompiler.co.uk/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=SwordfishUser.W5500\[/url\]](http://www.sfcompiler.co.uk/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=SwordfishUser.W5500%5B/url%5D) and for PIC24/32 see here [url][http://www.firewing.info/pmwiki.php?n=FirewingUser.W5500\[/url\]](http://www.firewing.info/pmwiki.php?n=FirewingUser.W5500%5B/url%5D)
There are examples for http/soap communication written in [vb.net](http://vb.net). ![:wink:](https://emoji.discourse-cdn.com/twitter/wink.png?v=12)

### Reply 2 by FranzPeter, 2016-05-03

Great! Thank you.
But however, just for ping and connect I do not need any configurations - just one Reset on J2/Pin3 - isn’t it?

### Reply 3 by FranzPeter, 2016-05-03

My aim is to control things from the PC. At the moment I do this with the Chip IO-Warrior56 via USB. The PC with the running control program is connected to the IO-Warrior56 via USB-cable.
Now I want to do exactly the same via Ethernet. I thought, that I connect a network-cable between my computer and the WIZnet550io and then I can connect to the hardware in the same way: The control program runs on the PC and via the Ethernet-cable I can control the hardware.
The first step is now, to make a TCP-connection between PC and WIZnet550io. However, it is not possible to make just a connection from the PC to the WIZnet550io. Just a ping is working, but connection not.
I have programmed a TCP-Socket- (TCP-Client-) connection which works fine to any server on the network - but not to the WIZnet550io.

The sense of the WIZnet550io is, that I do not need to configure this device, because it is self-configuring if I press the Pin3 of J2 for 500µs to GND. That is what I can read in the datasheet. After that, I can connect to the module, but that does not work.
Am I wrong?

### Reply 4 by Coccoliso, 2016-05-04

Hi Peter,
the module mounts a PIC MPU that in the module reset sets MAC address and other few registers ([url][Disable PIC on WIZ550io](https://forum.wiznet.io/t/disable-pic-on-wiz550io/2335/1)]) and is for this reason that then responds to your simple ping but then you have a fixed address and to change it you need to set the module again.
To use the module then as a server or client must set its registers to use it then you need something that “speaks” with the module through its SPI.
To give you just one example… to get a dynamic address via your DHCP server you must set many module registers and not just make a reset.
I do not know the hardware you’re talking about but if this happens it means that someone performs the requested operations.

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11828
