---
title: "Link not working"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11788"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11788/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "Tinus81"
created: "2016-04-11T21:42:09+09:00"
last_activity: "2017-05-04T08:38:37+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 1909
replies: 10
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# Link not working

## Question

Asked by Tinus81 on 2016-04-11 in Ethernet Chips.

I’m having trouble getting a link with W5200. I have made two boards and both cannot get a link when connecting an ethernet cable.
I’ve made the schematic following the W5200 reference schematic. I’m using the RB1-125BAG1A MagJack.
I’ve checked all hardware connections and SPI works good. I’m able to set MAC and IP etc.

I read the PSTATUS register as 0x07 every second, with or without cable connected. What could be wrong?!

Here a part of my schematic:

[![](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/1X/49c706749c2e735ade6a79cbde488dd43eb90a34.PNG) 1512×868 35 KB](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/1X/49c706749c2e735ade6a79cbde488dd43eb90a34.PNG)

Regards,
Martijn

## Replies

### Reply 1 by Eugeny, 2016-04-12

Martijn, you changed original circuit a little.

1. LED part. Why did you change it? W5200 senses its mode using LED outputs in input mode, are you sure putting P-MOSFET will not affect proper mode identification?

2. I assume you already saw reference schematic from [url][http://www.wiznet.co.kr/product-item/w5200/\[/url\]](http://www.wiznet.co.kr/product-item/w5200/%5B/url%5D). Please stick to it as much as possible.

3. pin 45 should be pulled down. If it is not, W5200 may power PHY down - probably this is what happens in your design.

4. CS, INT and RESET should have pull-ups to have proper levels when master does not (yet) drive the bus.

5. and finally, as you are able to read W5200’s registers, I assume you powered 1V8 properly.

### Reply 2 by Tinus81, 2016-04-12

Hi Eugeny, thanks for your reply.

1. I changed LED part because I need to drive more LEDs in the final product (which also will be PWM-ed). I desoldered the mosfets to test if that would work, but it doesn’t. I get no link.

2. Yes I did. For example, the power supply part was a direct copy of reference schematic. Now with the added resistors my schematic is equal to the reference schematic.

3. OK, I added a pull down resister to pin 45.

4. OK, I added pull up resistors to these pins.

5. Yes, I’m able to read and write registers. On the 1,8V pin I measure 2,09V, maybe it’s a little high?

Even with the pull up and pull down resistors and removed mosfets I get no link. I’ve tested all w5200 pins, all are connected to the board ok.

I’ve measured Auto Negotiation pulses on all the w5200 phy pins (17/18, 20/21), but only with an ethernet cable is connected. Without cable I don’t measure these pulses (shouldn’t the w5200 also send negotiation pulses?).

I really have no clue where to look further or where the problem might occur ![:open_mouth:](https://emoji.discourse-cdn.com/twitter/open_mouth.png?v=12)

Any ideas??

Thanks,

Martijn

### Reply 3 by Eugeny, 2016-04-12

![](https://avatars.discourse-cdn.com/v4/letter/t/977dab/48.png) Tinus81:

> On the 1,8V pin I measure 2,09V, maybe it’s a little high?

Not little, it is too high - 16% above nominal. Did you connect 1V8_OUT to 1V8D through ferrite bead with capacitors as recommended on reference circuit diagram (top right corner of the sheet)? My first guess that you have 2.09V simply because 1V8_OUT (regulator output) does not have any load.

### Reply 4 by Tinus81, 2016-04-12

[quote=“Eugeny”]
Not little, it is too high - 16% above nominal. Did you connect 1V8_OUT to 1V8D through ferrite bead with capacitors as recommended on reference circuit diagram (top right corner of the sheet)? My first guess that you have 2.09V simply because 1V8_OUT (regulator output) does not have any load.[/quote]

Yes I did connect 1V8 out through ferrite bead and all the capacitors are there. I’ll check the board tomorrow and measure the 1V8D pins.
Thanks for your help so far!

### Reply 5 by Eugeny, 2016-04-12

Yes, you surely need to check your board. I hope chip did not fry. Probably you have some shortage, for example pulled up RSV (7) is shorted with 1V8 (8).

### Reply 6 by Tinus81, 2016-04-13

I’ve placed a new w5200 on the board, to be sure it’s not defect. I’ve checked for shortage, there are no shortages.
When I power up now, the 1V8 measures 1V9, so that seems much better.

However I still get no link… I’ve tried multiple network switches and cables by the way. Any other suggestion??

### Reply 7 by Eugeny, 2016-04-13

Can you please post a photo of your board from both sides?
Did you connect 3V3A to 3V3D through recommended circuit? You did not provide full circuit diagram related to W5200, thus I have to guess what is out of the image you posted. From what I see that digital part seems to work properly - XTAL, host-side I/O, PHYSTAT shows correct value, PHY is not in forced power down mode. Thus there’s most probably some issue at the TX/RX and/or magjack’s side.

### Reply 8 by Tinus81, 2016-04-13

Here are photo’s from top and bottom side:

[![](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/1X/386c9c7b3971a3e930fb467b8c473eaf27498c4a.jpg) 1920×1424 963 KB](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/1X/386c9c7b3971a3e930fb467b8c473eaf27498c4a.jpg)

[![](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/1X/e2f7eda8c8c234327cbf0a90ae50f2243169b1a8.jpg) 1920×1424 936 KB](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/1X/e2f7eda8c8c234327cbf0a90ae50f2243169b1a8.jpg)

The resistors connected with rework wire are the extra pull ups and pull down.

Also, here is full schematic:

[Schematic.pdf](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/legacyFile.asp?path=7EjQVdiOjTpAmfy2dZ3f13VsZGd.pdf) (55.9 KB)

I really appreciate your help!

### Reply 9 by Eugeny, 2016-04-13

In my opinion your circuit diagram is correct. Layout can be improved and optimized, but in general it should work.
Do R5 and L3 have any shortage between them?

### Reply 10 by Tinus81, 2016-04-13

You are my hero! ![:smiley:](https://emoji.discourse-cdn.com/twitter/smiley.png?v=12)

The shortage should be there - but not with R5. It turns out that the text of R5 and C21 is reversed ![:blush:](https://emoji.discourse-cdn.com/twitter/blush.png?v=12)
R5 is the bias resistor on pin 12.

Thanks a lot!!

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11788
