---
title: "Basic Questions"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11748"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11748/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "robyn"
created: "2016-03-22T14:20:21+09:00"
last_activity: "2017-05-04T08:39:42+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 708
replies: 1
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# Basic Questions

## Question

Asked by robyn on 2016-03-22 in Ethernet Chips.

Hello,

We are looking into using this chip to transmit UDP packets and I have some basic questions.

1. Do the chip add any information to the UDP packet? For example, the header and checksum of the packet?

2. I looked in the sample code and I couldn’t see how the chip select was being used for reading from the socket. To read, do I follow these instructions:
  - Set the address pins
  - Pull chip select low
  - Enable Read
  - Read data from data pins
  - Disable Read
  - chip select high
   If that is the case, how do I know when the read data is valid?

3. What about writing to a socket?
  - Set address pins
  - Pull chip select low
  - Set data pins
  - Enable write
  - Disable write
  - Set chip select high
   If this is the case, how do I know when the data has been written?

4. What about read/writes from a buffer? Do I have to enable chip select and read multiple times?

## Replies

### Reply 1 by lawrence, 2017-01-31

hello, robyn

do you want to know the interface w5300 has?

I think this page will be so useful

[url][http://www.wiznet.co.kr/product-item/w5300/\[/url\]](http://www.wiznet.co.kr/product-item/w5300/%5B/url%5D)

in the below, please check the registers and pin information in datasheet.

And you can test it with application note as well.

thank you

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11748
