---
title: "Sending email packets - proper timing"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11661"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11661/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "dodge55"
created: "2016-02-11T13:33:44+09:00"
last_activity: "2017-05-04T08:38:14+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 531
replies: 0
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# Sending email packets - proper timing

## Question

Asked by dodge55 on 2016-02-11 in Ethernet Chips.

I have successfully built up a system to send emails and texts using the w5500. I notice from time to time that as I’m sending the proper packets out, I get timeouts (command gets lost or otherwise no response from server). I notice this most often on the RCPT TO: request. So, in all my packet requests, I built in 5 tries with a 3 second timeout window. That seems to work. Every so often with the RCPT TO: request, it takes 4 tries to get a response. I’ve never seen 5 or a complete timeout yet. My question is how long is the ‘proper’ timeout window? Do I need to wait 3 seconds for an ACK/answer? Or is that too long? Any other comments on ways others have handled timeouts is welcome.

Thanks.

Sutton

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11661
