---
title: "Upgrade problem"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11458"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11458/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Serial-to-Ethernet & ConfigTool"
author: "logistica888"
created: "2015-11-12T09:56:39+09:00"
last_activity: "2017-05-04T08:37:32+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 1023
replies: 4
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# Upgrade problem

## Question

Asked by logistica888 on 2015-11-12 in Serial-to-Ethernet & ConfigTool.

I have a WIZ550S2E-232
I would update the firmware using *.hex file
I’m using this procedure:
[github.com/Wiznet/WIZ550S2E](https://github.com/Wiznet/WIZ550S2E)
I found the *.hex files here:
[wizwiki.net/wiki/doku.php?id=pro … e_download](http://wizwiki.net/wiki/doku.php?id=products:wiz550s2e:wiz550s2e_download)
I try to upgrade to ver.1.0.1

I download first the WIZ550S2E_Boot.hex file
Then I download the WIZ550S2E_App.hex file
“Flash Magic” verifies ok both programs

When I restart the board I think start only the Boot program, not the Application program
The status LEDs on the base board flash alternately
The WIZnet_Configuration_Tool shows “BootLoader 1.0.1” in the “Firmware Version” box

Where is my problem?

Thanks

## Replies

### Reply 1 by Edward, 2015-11-12

Hi.

You firmware download using github source file ?

important below picture number 2 checking
[attachment=0]687474703a2f2f77697a77696b692e6e65742f77696b692f6c69622f6578652f66657463682e7068703f743d3134333430383731393926773d35303026683d34393426746f6b3d346536613034266d656469613d70726f64756374733a77697a3535307332653a77697a3.png[/attachment]

below to link is binary file is Boot + App file…

[wizwiki.net/wiki/doku.php?id=pro … e_download](http://wizwiki.net/wiki/doku.php?id=products:wiz550s2e:wiz550s2e_download)

please firmware re download.

Thank you

### Reply 2 by Edward, 2015-11-12

Hi.

You firmware download using github source file ?

important below picture number 2 checking
![](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/1X/de95b7016bf205810e5d973a5988d1987ab00cb4.png)

below to link is binary file is Boot + App file…

[wizwiki.net/wiki/doku.php?id=pro … e_download](http://wizwiki.net/wiki/doku.php?id=products:wiz550s2e:wiz550s2e_download)

please firmware re download.

Thank you

### Reply 3 by logistica888, 2015-11-13

Hi

I used the instruction of picture number 2
The big difference is that in your “binary_v1.0.1.zip” file in the link:
[wizwiki.net/wiki/doku.php?id=pro … e_download](http://wizwiki.net/wiki/doku.php?id=products:wiz550s2e:wiz550s2e_download)
I can find these files:
WIZ550S2E_App.bin
WIZ550S2E_App.hex
WIZ550S2E_Boot.hex
I have not a single “boot+app.hex” file, like the picture 2

First test: I try to download first WIZ550S2E_Boot.hex then WIZ550S2E_App.hex
Second test: I try to download first WIZ550S2E_App.hex then WIZ550S2E_Boot.hex
Flash Magic is happy in both cases, it finishes the download, and it verifies files
But the effect is always the same:
-The status LEDs on the base board flash alternately
-The WIZnet_Configuration_Tool shows “BootLoader 1.0.1” in the “Firmware Version” box

No change
The Application doesn’t start
The problem is not solved

Thank you

### Reply 4 by logistica888, 2015-11-16

Hi

Maybe I understand the problem
At the beginning I failed a TFTP update
In the eeprom the flag that enable TFTP upgrade is active

I upgrade correctly boot an app code with FlasMagic
When start the boot program is looking a TFTP upgrade
If there is not, boot has a TFTP_FAIL, and the app can’t start.
To start the app, I must clean the eeprom

Now should be fine

Thank you

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11458
