---
title: "W5100 ping but no response"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11452"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11452/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "I14R10"
created: "2015-11-09T22:49:12+09:00"
last_activity: "2017-05-04T08:37:32+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 1377
replies: 4
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# W5100 ping but no response

## Question

Asked by I14R10 on 2015-11-09 in Ethernet Chips.

Hi

I was playing around with the arduino ethernet shield, but not on arduino. I’m using atmega 1284 and I program it from Atmel studio. So, back to the ethernet shield. It uses W5100. I can get it to ping, but when I enter in address bar 192.168.1.10/index.html (it’s IP address and request for index.html page) it won’t open it. I check again and it pings. So does anybody know what is going on here?

## Replies

### Reply 1 by Edward, 2015-11-09

Hi.

I’m checking to your configuration.

First, you checking to ping ?

If you can ping

It is not ethernet shield problem.

otherwise checking RJ-45 LAN LED(yellow and green)?

one more checking to your code.

Thank you

### Reply 2 by Coccoliso, 2015-11-10

hi,
the module does not have an http server “native” to do this then I hope that you put on the embedded side the software to response for incoming http request of index.html

### Reply 3 by I14R10, 2015-11-15

Hi, sorry for not responding.
So, this happens. Of course, I have a software library included in my project. W5100 works for about 10-15 minutes normally and after that I can’t reach it over the browser, only from console by pinging it’s IP address. Is it overheating maybe?

### Reply 4 by Coccoliso, 2015-11-15

Hi,
you should understand if is reception part that goof after a number of bytes received or simply spent time a lot of time…
if you think it’s the heat, you should have the same result by leaving the chip power also limiting the reception.
But if instead it happens after a constant number of received bytes then it probably are rx pointers vs data readed num not coherent (and hangs receiving logic).
Check the logical at buffer-overflow time sending bytes for a number sufficient to fill the receive buffer as soon as possible and if everything hangs before 15 minutes are pointers ![:wink:](https://emoji.discourse-cdn.com/twitter/wink.png?v=12)

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11452
