---
title: "Mac address lost after firmware update"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11372"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11372/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Wireless"
author: "serdesk"
created: "2015-10-13T13:57:23+09:00"
last_activity: "2017-05-04T08:37:21+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 897
replies: 9
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# Mac address lost after firmware update

## Question

Asked by serdesk on 2015-10-13 in Wireless.

Hello,

I followed the instructions for Serial Line-APP+DCT update from here :
[wizwiki.net/wiki/doku.php?id=pro … re_upgrade](http://wizwiki.net/wiki/doku.php?id=products:wizfi250:wizfi250pg:firmware_upgrade)
but unfortunately the update seems to reset the MAC address.
I am testing with 5 wizfi250 modules now, but when the project goes throughe there will be 100’s of modules.
How can I update without loosing the mac address ?

Startup info before update : (I use MMSG=3 for getting debug log)

Platform BCMUSI11 initialised

Started ThreadX v5.5

Initialising NetX v5.6

Creating Packet pools

Starting Wiced v2.4.0

WWD SDIO interface initialised

WLAN MAC Address : 00:08:DC:1C:D5:EA

WizFi250 Version 1.0.3.3 (WIZnet Co.Ltd)

Startup info AFTER update to 1.0.4.2: (I use MMSG=3 for getting debug log)

Platform BCMUSI11 initialised

Started ThreadX v5.5

Initialising NetX v5.6

Creating Packet pools

Starting Wiced v2.4.0

WWD SDIO interface initialised

WLAN MAC Address : 00:08:DC:00:00:00

WizFi250 Version 1.0.4.2 (WIZnet Co.Ltd)

I can set it back using AT+MMAC command, that works but that is not practical.
AT+MMAC=00:08:DC:1C:D5:EA
[OK]

Nothing is run

Platform BCMUSI11 initialised

Started ThreadX v5.5

Initialising NetX v5.6

Creating Packet pools

Starting Wiced v2.4.0

WWD SDIO interface initialised

WLAN MAC Address : 00:08:DC:1C:D5:EA

WizFi250 Version 1.0.4.2 (WIZnet Co.Ltd)

When we buy new modules, will they have 1.0.4.2 from the factory?

Thanks
S

## Replies

### Reply 1 by ssekim, 2015-10-13

Hello

As you did, after F/W upgrading, you should write mac address using &lt;AT+MMAC> command.

And, if you order the modules with a F/W version to WIZnet or distributor, you can get the modules with the F/W as you want.

Regards.

### Reply 2 by phil31, 2015-10-16

in fact you lose the MAC add when you do a factory settings …
FUNCTION pin toggle 3 time

regards

### Reply 3 by serdesk, 2015-10-17

is there a way, using smartscript, to upgrade only the firmware, and leave the settings intact ?
In fact I never want to lose the stored settings, can I make the readonly (hardware wise) ?

### Reply 4 by phil31, 2015-10-17

from what i understand, it’s only when you do a FACTORY RESTORE
not during OTA feature

### Reply 5 by serdesk, 2015-10-18

okay thanks phil
I do firmware upgrading over serial line.
can I upgrade the firmware without losing settings
in some way?

### Reply 6 by phil31, 2015-10-18

not totally sure but think that download OTA or by UART … do same job … : that do not erase MAC adr

### Reply 7 by ssekim, 2015-10-18

There are some flash bank in WizFi250.

- APP : WizFi250 F/W

- DCT : MAC Address, Configuration data, …

Please refer to the below link.
<http://wizwiki.net/wiki/>
doku.php?id=products:wizfi250:wizfi250pg:firmware_upgrade

![](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/1X/86d45d3249aad9cd79d2d6742ceb544454f10192.jpg)

![](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/1X/ee94c23e3dc98fc0180834e2c908c57f0a42ec04.jpg)

BTW, please note that if there are some major-changes in WizFi250-FW, you should re-input mac address using AT+MMAC=…

Regards,

### Reply 8 by serdesk, 2015-10-27

Thanks for explaining,
so I’d have to use ‘Flash Write(app)’ instead of ‘Flash Write(all)’ in WizSmartScript ?

### Reply 9 by ssekim, 2015-10-28

It’s case by case.

Anyway, if you use ‘Flash Write(all)’, you should re-input mac address using AT+MMAC=…

Thanks…

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11372
