---
title: "Wiznet UDP multicast Socket not receiving any Unicast packets"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11332"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11332/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "Yuvaraj"
created: "2015-09-26T10:05:01+09:00"
last_activity: "2018-08-30T02:28:45+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 964
replies: 2
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# Wiznet UDP multicast Socket not receiving any Unicast packets

## Question

Asked by Yuvaraj on 2015-09-26 in Ethernet Chips.

I have Requirement to use one of the socket of wiznet w5300 as multicast UDP socket , Its well receiving all the Packets sent by others who are there in the same multicast group. But i want this socket should receive any Unicast packet sent from a non member (x) of this group. X will send a Unicast packet to wiznet multicast UDP socket using IP address and port number of this socket.

I wanted a wiznet UDP Multicast socket which able to receive Unicast data too.
Is it possible? and How?

## Replies

### Reply 1 by mmprestine, 2018-08-23

Did you ever find an answer to this question?

Can a socket only be setup for multicast and cannot receive unicast?

I have a test system that I see the same thing, socket 0 setup for multicast can only receive multicast and not unicast messages.

### Reply 2 by becky, 2018-08-30

hello,

W5300 UDP Multicast socket receives both multicast packet and unicast packet.
No additional settings are required.

Thank you

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11332
