---
title: "Software- or Hardware Reset?"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11247"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11247/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "wifitech"
created: "2015-08-27T10:03:45+09:00"
last_activity: "2017-05-04T08:36:40+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 2242
replies: 1
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# Software- or Hardware Reset?

## Question

Asked by wifitech on 2015-08-27 in Ethernet Chips.

Hi,

in the I/O-library I found the function ‘wizchip_sw_reset()’.
My question: does a software-reset the same as the hardware-reset ?
I expect not. But under which circumstances only a hardware reset would help?

Regards,

wifitech

## Replies

### Reply 1 by lawrence, 2015-08-28

Hi wifitech,

Thanks for your question and I could help you to understand.

If you find wizchip_sw_reset(), you also found the functions in the sw reset function.

It helps to initialize and clear the registers but keeps Hardware address, Gateway address, Subnet mask address and IP address.

Hardware reset initializes all without exception.

Thank you,

Lawrence

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/11247
