---
title: "Configuration tool can't find module. [solved]"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/10856"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/10856/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Serial-to-Ethernet & ConfigTool"
author: "dalowiz"
created: "2015-02-19T06:20:43+09:00"
last_activity: "2017-05-04T08:34:53+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 1050
replies: 3
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# Configuration tool can't find module. [solved]

## Question

Asked by dalowiz on 2015-02-19 in Serial-to-Ethernet & ConfigTool.

I am trying to run the configuration tool, but it can’t see the WIZ550S2E module. I manually set the Ethernet interface of my laptop to 192.168.11.5, with a gateway of 192.168.11.1, so it is on the same subnet as the module, then disabled wireless so it wouldn’t confuse matters. I connected the module via a straight through Ethernet cable, and ran the configuration tool.(Or do I need a crossover cable?) I hit the search button, and it grays out for less than 2 seconds before coming back to active, but it never finds any modules on the network. I can ping the module, but neither version of the configuration tool can find it. There is a steady orange light on the module’s RJ45 jack.

Any suggestions? I am trying to reduce the baud rate, and using the serial interface wasn’t working, so I thought I would try the configuration tool.

## Replies

### Reply 1 by Coccoliso, 2015-02-19

If you do not connect to a router you need to use a cross cable.
the strange thing is that you can ping the module, however, should use a router and set as the gateway on both the router address.

### Reply 2 by dalowiz, 2015-02-19

Maybe not so odd that it can ping. The W5500 datasheet says “However, user can use either type of cable to connect to other devices with auto-MDIX enabled, and the interface automatically corrects for any incorrect cabling.” The laptop, being pretty new, probably has auto-MDIX.

### Reply 3 by dalowiz, 2015-02-19

I attached the module and the laptop to an Ethernet switch, and the configuration tool had no problem finding the module. Problem solved.

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/10856
