---
title: "Input data format of w5100"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/10605"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/10605/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "kavireloot"
created: "2014-10-19T20:11:42+09:00"
last_activity: "2017-05-04T08:34:08+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 474
replies: 4
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# Input data format of w5100

## Question

Asked by kavireloot on 2014-10-19 in Ethernet Chips.

hi
whats input data format of w5100?
and how its programming? through spi? and how data communicated between input and w5100?

## Replies

### Reply 1 by irinakim, 2014-10-20

Hi,
kavireloot

For the communication with MCU, W5100 provides Direct Bus I/F, Indirect Bus I/F, SPI I/F mode.
and for the communication with Ethernet PHY, MII is used.

For more information, please click on the URL as below.

DataSheet : [url][http://www.wiznet.co.kr/Admin_Root/UpLoad_Files/BoardFiles/W5100_Datasheet_v1.2.5.pdf\[/url\]](http://www.wiznet.co.kr/Admin_Root/UpLoad_Files/BoardFiles/W5100_Datasheet_v1.2.5.pdf%5B/url%5D)

thanks,
EK ![:smiley:](https://emoji.discourse-cdn.com/twitter/smiley.png?v=12)

### Reply 2 by kavireloot, 2014-10-20

ok.but my question is what dose kind of data input? stream,binary or …???

### Reply 3 by irinakim, 2014-10-21

Sorry, kavireloot

Direct/Indirect BUS I/F → each time a byte is transmitted.
SPI I/F → each time a bit is transmitted.

![](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/1X/1dd13c8a7c075e2a5fb2d623f5a4c712e77387f9.JPG)

![](https://maker.wiznet.io/forum_uploads/wiznet/original/1X/10d5c75127c9e0f35210719d588bdd834954a538.JPG)

thanks,
EK ![:smiley:](https://emoji.discourse-cdn.com/twitter/smiley.png?v=12)

### Reply 4 by kavireloot, 2014-10-21

thanks for your response…

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/10605
