---
title: "One of the GND pins was not connected"
url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/10562"
markdown_url: "https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/10562/md"
type: "Forum topic"
category: "Ethernet Chips"
author: "atlantis"
created: "2014-10-01T08:54:54+09:00"
last_activity: "2017-05-04T08:34:02+09:00"
language: "en"
views: 394
replies: 1
source: "WIZnet Makers forum (https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/)"
---

# One of the GND pins was not connected

## Question

Asked by atlantis on 2014-10-01 in Ethernet Chips.

Yesterday I was working with my first project utilizing Wiznet W5100 chip. Unfortunatelly without success. After few hours I discovered what was wrong - I forgot about one PCB trace from GNDD (pin 68) to common ground plane. I tried to place there a piece of thin wire, but without success. Device is still not working.
Is it possible, that one unconnected GND pin could somehow damage the chip? Or should I look another bug somewhere else? I have to make another PCB anyway, but I don’t know if I can to recycle a chip or should I consider it broken and use a new one.

## Replies

### Reply 1 by jeongsk, 2014-10-08

A damege cannot happen to not connect 68pin of the W5100 to a gnd.
It has to operate if you did the circuit design and pcb design normally.
If I will upload the circuit which you design on a forum, I will examine a circuit.
But first, see under url.
[url][http://www.wiznet.co.kr/UpLoad_Files/ReferenceFiles/W5100_Ref_sch_MAG_R2.1.pdf\[/url\]](http://www.wiznet.co.kr/UpLoad_Files/ReferenceFiles/W5100_Ref_sch_MAG_R2.1.pdf%5B/url%5D)
Thanks

---

Source: https://maker.wiznet.io/forum/10562
