Author would share with you how to connect Arduino with PLC S7-300 via Ethernet. From Internet, author also studied some libraries that can handle this communication, such as:
Hardware configuration – ARDUINO UNO R3 equipped with ARDUINO Ethernet Shield R3
Hardware configuration explanation:
- With this configuration you have the freedom to modify both PLC program/Data and Arduino Sketch. And Snap7 ClientDemo is optional.
- In the Arduino IDE, we used ConnectTo () to define the IP_Address, Rack, Slot for the first connection, which set up the internal parameters and connect to the PLC.
- In the STEP 7 program, the IP_Address of the PLC (CP343-1) must be the address declared in the Arduino program: 192.168.0.71. See details in the image.
With above configuration, two controllers can exchange data with each other easily, for example:
- PLC side can get the MPU-6050 data, read distance of HC-SR05 or control RC-SERVO.
- Arduino side can read temperature from PT100/ thermocouples, get status of 24V proximity switches, or turn on / off 220VAC lamps.