Already performed some early benchmarks:
The test environment is a device-to-device scenario consisting of two ARM Cortex M4 @168 MHz and 20kByte RAM in combination with a WIZnet W5500 TCP/IP Ethernet controller.
As a real life comparison we also captured performance data on a Windows or Linux based PC with Core i5 @1.7 GHz with 12GB RAM.
Test application in all benchmarks is a normal (https) webserver demo.
Baseline values for the PC: 50 ms for complete RSA key exchange and RSA key calculation at a total of ~200 ms for the complete transaction.
The following devices are in our benchmark pipeline: ARM Cortex M3 @20 MHz to 50 MHz and ARM Cortex M7 @216 MHz/300 MHz
- 2.6 ms for TCP socket initialization
- 1.4 ms for client hello
- 1.4 ms for server hello
- 161.6 ms for TLS negotiation
- 195 ms for RSA Key exchange
- 346 ms for RSA decrypt
- 60 ms for web page delivery
- A total of 768 ms for the complete transaction
- 50 kByte pbTLS library
- 50 kByte demo application
- 500 Byte to 5 kByte dynamically
(depends on application, max ~16 kByte)
- 170 mA @ 3.3 V (~560 mW) maximum