The basic technology being used here is an Ethernet enabled Arduino and the MQTT protocol.
You will need:
– An Ethernet enabled Arduino (Preferably the WIZnet type, I have not tested this with others)
– 16 X Led strip lights or other lights you might want to use. I got mine from AliExpress for ~$2.50 each.
– 2 X 74HC595 Shift registers
– 2 X ULN2803 Darlington transistor Arrays
– 2 X 100nf Ceramic Capacitors
– 1 X 100uf 16v Polarised cap
Here is a demonstration movie.
For more detail about this project, visit Instructables.